Thursday, October 15, 2009

A greater appreciation for the heat


Yes, so I headed back to the gym at lunch time for another yoga class and a little more stretching exercises. This time I tried a Power Vinyasa class for a change. As I am writing this I have mixed feelings about practicing other types of yoga, especially after reading the book "Bikram Yoga: The Guru Behind Hot Yoga Shows the Way to Radiant Health and Personal Fulfillment" and learning more about the history of yoga in the United States.

To my surprise, we start the class with half moon pose, follow by eagle pose, then awkward pose, then…What the heck? Same poses but in different order, no HEAT and terrible music in the background (sorry, I can't "exercise" to Bob Marley).

Interestingly enough, the instructor is following part of the Bikram dialogue but with a softer tone ( without the typical “lock your knees, lock your knees, lock your knees” or “push push push.. change”) Hmmm. I was not sure if I should stay or go. I ended up sticking until the end with my mind wondering in 100 different directions and complete lack of meditation and concentration. Now, this is not yoga to me.

It’s funny how I've developed such deep appreciation for my Bikram Yoga practice overtime. Considering that after my first class, I thought I would never come back. I didn’t know what to think @ the heat, the fast dialog, the lack of music. hahaha. And here I am complaining about the opposite scenario.

When the Power Vinyasa class was over, I went to talked to the instructor. I was curious to find out if Power Vinyasa always follows the same sequence or if she is also a Bikram student. It turns out that her mentor studied with Bikram. Ahhhhh, this explains it. Still, where was my heat?

Anyways, these are some of the crazy things I do at lunch time. Hitting the gym and appreciating the heat more than ever before :)

No comments:

Post a Comment